Every year on January 1st, the city of Philadelphia is filled with lively music, elaborate costumes, and fun dancing from none other than the Mummers! The Mummers Parade is considered to be the oldest and longest-running folk parade in the country, with the first official parade occurring all the way back in 1901. Philadelphia is renown for a few historic parades, including the 6ABC Thanksgiving Day Parade, which celebrated its 100th year just last month! The parade is perfect for a fun day out with family and friends, here’s all you should know about the 2020 Mummers Parade!
Where do the Mummers come from? Well, according to Rusty Martz, president of the board of directors of the Mummers Museum, they can be traced back to Swedish immigrants in Philadelphia around the late 17th century. He says, “In Philadelphia, it used to be a celebration of rivalry between the neighborhoods. Philadelphia is a very neighborhood-oriented city and the neighbors of certain areas would gather around their fire house and do a lot of the reveling before New Years.”
The Mummers as a whole are made up of several different categories or divisions, which consist of: comics (satirical skits), wench brigades (colorful costumes, painted faces), fancy division (known for the impeccable costumes), fancy brigades (costumes and broadway like skits), and string bands. The people in these categories and the Mummers as a whole put so much work into the skits, costumes, and looks so their performances can be unforgettable!
Planning on going to the 120th annual Mummers Parade? Here’s the important details!
- The parade begins at 9am on Wednesday, January 1st and ends at 6pm.
- The parade route begins at City Hall and will run along South Broad Street, ending at Washington Avenue.
- Order of March (approximate):
- Fancy Division (9 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.) Golden Sunrise
- Comic Wenches (9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.) Cara Liom, O’Malley, The Americans, The Pirates, Riverfront, Bryson, Oregon, The Saints, Froggy Carr
- Comic Division (10:30 a.m. – 12:45 a.m.) Murray, Goodtimers, Landi
- String Band Division (1 p.m. – 4 a.m.)
*All performances in the march are not included here, for a complete list, head over to Fox 29 Philly!
The Mummers Parade is bound to be a fun filled event to officially kick off the New Year in style, Philly style!